Subject: French Warplane Shot Down By Serbs In Bosnia
From: Fabien Pichard <[email-masked]>
To: List About Everything French <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 95 13:09:02 TZ

FYI
----------

French Warplane Shot Down By Serbs In Bosnia

  WASHINGTON (DJTES)--A French warplane participating in NATO air attacks on
Serb positions in Bosnia was shot down Wednesday east of the Bosnian capital, a
Clinton administration official said, reports Associated Press.

  It was the first reported loss by the allied air force pounding Serb 
positions
around Sarajevo.

  The French plane was hit by Serb air defenders near Pale, the Bosnian Serb
stronghold east of Sarajevo, the official said. He spoke on condition he not be
identified.

  The fate of the French crew was not immediately known. The administration
official said two parachutes were spotted in the air after the plane was hit.

  AP photographer Srdjan Ilic reported seeing a plane being shot down just
southeast of the Bosnian Serb stronghold Pale late Wednesday afternoon as a new
attack was in progress.

  The plane exploded in midair, and he saw two red parachutes in the sky.

  CNN later showed video from Bosnian Serb television of the plane plunging to
the ground, followed by a ball of smoke.

  (END) AP-DOW JONES NEWS 30-08-95

  1601GMT

(AP-DJ-08-30-95 1601GMT)
:SUBJECT: DOD DI4 UN FRAN YUGO EXEC USA HOT

Copyright (c) 1995 Dow Jones and Company, Inc.
Received by NewsEDGE/LAN: 8/30/95 9:09 AM

French Pilots Said To Have Survived: U.S. Official

  WASHINGTON (AP)--Two parachutes were spotted after the Mirage 2000C fighter
was hit, and the U.S. official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the
two airmen apparently had survived.

  The United States has search-and-rescue crews in the area, but it was not
immediately clear whether they were headed toward Pale to try to retrieve the
two French airmen.

  The shootdown was the first reported loss by the allied air forces during the
air attack, as reported earlier, around Sarajevo. The U.S. official said the
incident occurred at 11:18 a.m. EDT.

  (END) AP-DOW JONES NEWS 30-08-95

  1619GMT

(AP-DJ-08-30-95 1619GMT)
:SUBJECT: DOD DI5 DI1 DI6 UN DI3 DI2 FRAN YUGO USA HOT

Copyright (c) 1995 Dow Jones and Company, Inc.
Received by NewsEDGE/LAN: 8/30/95 9:21 AM